Hartford in Washington County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Schwartz Family House
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Peter and Anna Schwartz emigrated from Prussia in 1854 and were among the earliest settlers in Hartford. Initially families of farmers, the Schwartz’s owned Eagles Park and the Schwartz Ballroom and were prominent community members. The oldest son, Joseph, purchased the Hartford City Brewery in 1901. The brewery was initially successful but was forced to close in 1937 because of Prohibition and the effects of the Great Depression.
Erected 2018 by Wisconsin Historical Society and Hartford Historic Preservation Foundation. (Marker Number 575.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 19.291′ N, 88° 22.498′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Wisconsin, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Street and Third Street, on the right when traveling west on Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 E. Union Street, Hartford WI 53027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Kissel” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Westphal Mansion Inn (approx. 0.4 miles away); Willard R. Amidon Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lohr’s Gas Station The Schwartz Ballroom (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Lawrence Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Winter Farm (approx. 5½ miles away); Holy Hill (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Regarding Schwartz Family House. More from the internet: https://www.hartfordhistoric.com/schwartz-family-house.html
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 10, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.