Tiﬃn Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
B) By the mid 1830's, Ohio had developed a canal system that linked Lake Erie in the north to the Ohio River in the south. Despite the success of the canals, transportation companies searched for other methods to traverse the state. Tehy found their answer in the railroad industry, which proved to be much faster, cheaper, and more reliable than canals. located on Lake Erie, Sandusky, Ohio was a major trading depot in the area. Plans were made to connect Sandusky to Cincinnati's port on the Ohio River. On September 4, 1835, construction began in Sandusky
Erected 2004 by Breidenbach's Painting, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-74.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 7.129′ N, 83° 10.737′ W. Marker is in Tiffin, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is at the intersection of North Monroe and Benner Street, on the right when traveling south on North Monroe. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 65 North Monroe, Tiffin OH 44883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Ball (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Ball (about 500 feet away); Founding of Tiffin (approx. 0.2 miles away); State's First Female Lawyers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Seneca (approx. 6.3 miles away); to Brady's Island / to Battle Island Native American Habitation (approx. 6½ miles away); Fort Seneca - Harrison Trail (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiffin.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2018, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.