Hill City in Pennington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Von Woehrman Building
This building is listed on the National Register as the oldest commercial hand-hewn log building in continuous use in South Dakota. Built in 1885 by the German immigrant Camillo Von Woehrman as a saloon and sleeping quarters; in 1890 he began publishing the Harney Peak Mining News, a weekly paper, which he published for over 30 years. The building has survived 3 fires, two of which destroyed major portions of the town. The building had been stuccoed in the 1920’s and had served as a garage and fixit shop until the last fire. Since interior restoration it has been: a fly-tying shop, a book and gun shop, a book, gift and stained glass shop.
Location. 43° 55.851′ N, 103° 34.549′ W. Marker is in Hill City, South Dakota, in Pennington County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 16/385) and McGregor Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, at the northeast corner of the building, near the intersection and facing McGregor Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Main Street, Hill City SD 57745, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hill City (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Black Hills Central Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Work Call" (approx. 0.9 miles away); Harney Peak Lookout (approx. 5 miles away); Sheridan (approx. 5.2 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Needles Eye (approx. 6.3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hill City.
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on the wall, within a metal frame, behind a protective plexiglass cover.
Regarding Von Woehrman Building. National Register of Historic Places (1977). Building currently houses a restaurant.
Also see . . . Von Whehrman Building - National Register of Historic Places nomination form (1977). (This link presents a picture of the building from 1977.) (Submitted on July 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.