Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Junction in Mesa County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

St. Regis Hotel

c. 1892

 

—National Historic Register —

 
St. Regis Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
1. St. Regis Hotel Marker
Inscription. An early stagecoach stop, The Grand Hotel, welcomed visitors with a tin-faced, two-story building, surrounded by shade trees, wooden sidewalks, and spacious lobby. In 1904 the building was purchased from William and Allie Neff and Anna Scott by Harry Burnett Sr. and renamed The New Grand in hopes of catering to a new clientele. The tin was replaced with white pressed brick and a third floor was added along with a restaurant, and the interior was completely refurnished. It retained its massive bar in the lobby and a ballroom to host civic and social groups. Burnett renamed it The St. Regis Hotel, and a large staircase replaced the bar in the lobby.

After prohibition ended in 1933, the hotel was remodeled in an Art Deco motif with Asian-style furnishings and opened in 1936 as Grand Junction's first cocktail lounge. Upon Harry Jr.'s death in 1960, Grand Junction's oldest remaining hotel was auctioned off, and later remodeled to house a restaurant. The upper floors were redesigned to house a combination of office and residential units.
 
Erected by Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 5.)
 
Location. 39° 3.972′ N, 108° 33.976′ W. Marker is in Grand Junction, Colorado, in Mesa County. Marker is
The former St. Regis Hotel (marker is to left of door). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
2. The former St. Regis Hotel (marker is to left of door).
at the intersection of South 4th Street and Colorado Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 359 Colorado Avenue, Grand Junction CO 81501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Junction Elks Lodge #575 (within shouting distance of this marker); Whitman School (within shouting distance of this marker); Sampliner’s Dry Goods (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mesa Drug/City Market (about 500 feet away); Grand Junction News Established (about 500 feet away); Bannister Furniture (about 500 feet away); The Fair Building (about 700 feet away); Benge’s Shoe Store (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Junction.
 
Regarding St. Regis Hotel. The original two story east wing was built as the Grand Hotel in 1895. The third floor, east wing and cupola, enlarged it onto Colorado Avenue. The front of the building and two-story west wing were added in 1906. The name was changed to St. Regis at that time. It was known in Grand Junction as a place for good rooms and meals at a lower cost than the town’s fancy hotel, the La Court (no longer standing). The Oriental Room and Cocktail Lounge – added in the 1930s - offered a spacious dance floor and live music. Beginning in 1932, western Colorado’s first commercial radio station, KXFJ, operated from the hotel for several years. The switch from railroad travel to automobiles hurt business.

From the 1970s on, the hotel opened and closed several times. Extensive interior rehabilitation in the 1990s resulted in the present-day use as offices and apartments.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement