Watertown in Codington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Commercial Historic District
The construction of the Mellette and Granite Blocks at the corner of Broadway and Kemp established a new financial center. This drew development beyond the traditional "main street" area built near the railroad tracks. The construction of two such prominent buildings reflected the optimism and confidence that characterized Watertown in the 1880s. The opening of the Sisseton-Wahpeton reservation in 1892 and the arrival of new settlers further encouraged development along Kemp Avenue.
Avenues and streets were originally named for prominent men in Watertown's formation, trees, and animals. This system caused confusion because it did not allow for distances or directions. In 1906, most street names were
1. Kemp Avenue looking west.
2. West side of Broadway (Oak Street) looking south in 1879.
3. East side of Maple Street looking north from Kemp Avenue.
4. West side of Broadway (Oak Street) looking north.
5. Kemp Avenue looking east.
Sponsored by the Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission, a Preserve America grant, and the South Dakota State Historical Society.
Images courtesy of the South Dakota State Historical Society and the Codington County Historical Society.
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission, a Preserve America grant, and the South Dakota State Historical Society.
Location. 44° 54.022′ N, 97° 6.802′ W. Marker is in Watertown, South Dakota, in Codington County. Marker is on East Kemp Avenue east of North Maple, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located within a small outdoor plaza at this address. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15 East Kemp Avenue, Watertown SD 57201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maurice Hockman (a few steps from this marker); Carnegie Free Public Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Codington County Courthouse Post Office & Auditorium (about 700 feet away); Old M. & ST. L. Depot Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Public Opinion & City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Watertown (approx. 0.8 miles away); Forsburg Park Sundial (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watertown.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally, on waist-high posts.
Also see . . .
1. Watertown Commercial Historic District. The Watertown Commercial Historic District is a 22 acres historic district in Watertown, South Dakota. It is roughly bounded by First Ave. N., Third St. E., Second Ave. S., and First St. W. It includes works by Watertown architect Maurice A. Hockman. It includes 69 contributing buildings and 47 non-contributing ones. It includes the Codington County Courthouse and the Carnegie Free Public Library, which are separately listed on the National Register. (Submitted on July 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Watertown, South Dakota. Watertown was founded in 1879 as a rail terminus when the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad reactivated part of a line it had constructed to Lake Kampeska. Despite the prominence of rivers and lakes in the (Submitted on October 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Commercial Historic District.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on August 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on August 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 8. submitted on July 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.