Glenwood Springs in Garfield County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
During the 1890's, Edwin S. Hughes moved into the building with his Glenwood Bottling Works. He bottled aerated drinks such as ginger ale, sarsaparilla, and beer. He also had a small plant adjacent to the Yampa Spring to bottle and ship mineral water world wide as a health tonic.
In 1894, Hughes expanded into the liquor business. The address of 824-826 was now Hughes Wholesale Liquors. In addition to the Hughes liquor outlet, the south half of the main floor was occupied between 1898 and 1904 by the city fire department. After the death of Edwin Hughes in 1915, the Hughes Wholesale Liquor was managed and later owned by brother-in-law Joe F. Benedeck. Beginning in the 1930's, it became Benedeck's, a wholesale merchandise store that remained through the early 1970's.
At this same time, Iola Rooms occupied the upper floor of the building. There were twenty-eight furnished rooms to rent from the 1880's through the 1950's. In 1917 (during the Spanish Flu Pandemic), these rooms served as an emergency hospital for the county.
The long family
Erected by the Frontier Historical Society and the City of Glenwood Springs.
Location. 39° 32.746′ N, 107° 19.477′ W. Marker is in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in Garfield County. Marker is on Grand Avenue (Colorado Route 82) north of 9th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 824 Grand Avenue, Glenwood Springs CO 81601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. I.O.O.F. Building (within shouting distance of this marker); McCoy-Armory Building (within shouting distance of this marker); David Delaplane, Father of Colorado Mountain College Healthy Atmosphere Rehabilitated Soldiers (about 300 feet away); CCC Men Built Improvements for Glenwood (about 300 feet away); Immigrants Found Future in Colorado (about 300 feet away); When Snow Slides Closed the Canyon (about 300 feet away); And Devereux Said Unto Glenwood, "Let There Be Light" (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glenwood Springs.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.