Near Canute in Washita County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
St. Francis Church
Another church, Holy Family, was established in 1926 to serve the parishioners of Canute. The church building still stands on the corner of Old Route 66 and 9th Street.
The heritage of plains Christianity is embodied in the grotto and the bronze crucifixion group built in 1928 by the parishioners of Holy Family Church of Canute. The grotto serves as a monument to the settlers of western Oklahoma who struggled with tornadoes, drought, and blue northers to establish a prosperous community while maintaining their beliefs.
The stone for the tomb was hauled from the Red River and the native red granite is from Granite, a town 40 miles to the southwest.
Erected 1994 by Oklahoma Historical Society,
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 25.308′ N, 99° 16.288′ W. Marker is near Canute, Oklahoma, in Washita County. Marker is on Old U.S. 66 0.3 miles east of County Road N2080, in the median. Located near the Holy Family Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canute OK 73626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. David Lee Walters (here, next to this marker); Great Western Cattle Trail (here, next to this marker); Canute (here, next to this marker); Canute Centennial (here, next to this marker).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for St. Francis Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.