Wayne County Seminary
Old School Site on the National Road
Non-denominational academies called county seminaries opened across Indiana soon after statehood. Wayne County Seminary opened at present day Spruce and School Streets in 1829 and by 1835 offered elementary to collegiate level classes for male and female students. Several students became prominent citizens, including author Lew Wallace and politician Oliver P. Morton.
(continued on other side)
(continued from other side)
By 1849, the co-educational school became the White Water Female College and Academy. Over the following decades the school changed administration and names (White Water College, c. 1850, Centerville Collegiate Institute, 1865) but continued to flourish with over 200 students. The institution was converted to a public school c. 1870 and destroyed by fire, 1891.
Erected 2018 by Indiana Historical Bureau, H. Clay & J. Rariden, and the Centerville-Center Township Public Library. (Marker Number 89.2018.1.)
Location. 39° 49.059′ N, 84° 59.886′ W. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Masonic Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver P. Morton Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Honor Roll (about 700 feet away); Historic National Road / Make History, Drive It (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Salisbury Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mansion House (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Scott, 1793 (?)-1838 (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington Julian (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centerville.
Additional keywords. National Road
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Wayne County Seminary.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.