Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wharton in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Wharton

 
 
City of Wharton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. City of Wharton Marker
Inscription.  The town of Wharton was founded as the seat of Wharton County in April 1846. Land for a courthouse, named Monterey Square, was given from the land grant of William Kincheloe, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists who settled in this area in 1822. The townsite was surveyed by Virgil Stewart and William J. E. Heard, and the rich farmland attracted many settlers. The advent of railroads and irrigation brought increased settlement to the town, which remains a center of agricultural, educational, industrial, and medical services for a large area.
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 894.)
 
Location. 29° 18.591′ N, 96° 6.038′ W. Marker is in Wharton, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is at the intersection of West Burleson Street and South Fulton Street, on the right when traveling east on West Burleson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West Burleson Street, Wharton TX 77488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wharton County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this
City of Wharton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. City of Wharton Marker
marker); Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharton County (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharton County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater (about 400 feet away); Security Bank and Trust Company (about 400 feet away); Judge George E. Quinan (about 500 feet away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wharton.
 
Also see . . .  Wharton, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for City of Wharton.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement