Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
West Texas Relays
— 1944 – 1994 —
Nationally known as one of Texas' best track and field events. The first invitational was held April 1, 1944 at Odessa High School's dirt practice field. Seven area high schools competed in 14 events. In 1949 the meet moved to a new cinder track at Broncho (W.T. Barrett) Stadium and was re-named The West Texas Relays. That year the Odessa Camber of Commerce joined the school system as co-sponsor. Competition expanded to include athletes from area junior and senior highs, state and national junior colleges and universities. In 1983 the relays moved to Ratliff Stadium's faster all-weather track. Over 1500 competitors from about 50 schools now participate in the annual two-day meet.
Erected 1994 by Heritage of Odessa Foundation. (Marker Number 27.)
Location. 31° 55.05′ N, 102° 21.808′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on East Yukon Drive 0.2 miles west of North Grandview Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Odessa TX 79765, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the Emigrant Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Old Buffalo Wallow (approx. 2.4 miles away); John Ben Shepperd (approx. 2.6 miles away); El Paso Natural Gas Company's First Compressor Transmission Engine (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Cable Tool Rig (approx. 2.6 miles away); E.G. Rodman, Sr. (approx. 2.7 miles away); W.D. Noel (approx. 2.7 miles away); M.O. Boring, Jr. (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Sports •
More. Search the internet for West Texas Relays.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.