Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edna in Jackson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Jackson County

 
 
Early Jackson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. Early Jackson County Marker
Inscription.  Organized, 1837; named for 7th President of U. S., Andrew Jackson.

Early hunting grounds of the cannibalistic Karankawa Indians, this region was crossed in 1528 by shipwrecked Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca. French explorer La Salle founded the first settlement, ill-fated Fort St. Louis, in 1685. Its site is said by some authorities to be Dimmitt's Point (21 miles SW.).

Most of what is now Jackson County lay in Stephen F. Austin's land grant. The first town, "Santa Anna," was founded by six members of Austin's "Old 300" colonists in 1832. The town, later named "Texana," was the predecessor of Edna.
 
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1346.)
 
Location. 28° 58.7′ N, 96° 38.789′ W. Marker is in Edna, Texas, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Business U.S. 59) and North Wells Street (Texas Highway 111), on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 West Main Street, Edna TX 77957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Early Jackson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. Early Jackson County Marker
markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jackson County, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederates of Jackson County (within shouting distance of this marker); Macaroni Station (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Jackson County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Famous Lavaca-Navidad Meeting of 1835 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brackenridge Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Bauve-Young-Payne Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edna.
 
Also see . . .  Jackson County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. ExplorationPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
Marker is on Courthouse grounds image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, October 6, 2018
3. Marker is on Courthouse grounds
 

More. Search the internet for Early Jackson County.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.   3. submitted on October 9, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement