Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Deadwood's Carnegie Library
Deadwood's library would not have been possible without the hard work and perseverance of the Round Table Club and the Deadwood Womans Club. In 1899, these women's literary groups joined forces to promote the creation of a public library. Within four years, ground for the new library was officially broke on March 28, 1904. Plans from Deadwood architect Charles A. Randall were adopted by the City Commission and called for a one story building to be built in the Greek Style of architecture. An interesting exterior feature of the library included the white sandstone retaining wall from the Burke Quarry in Hot Springs, South Dakota. Prior to being placed in front of the library, the wall was on display in the South Dakota exhibit at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
On November 8, 1905, the library
Erected by The Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 44° 22.585′ N, 103° 43.913′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Williams Street and Denver Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Williams Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the left side of the library main entrance from Williams Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 435 Williams Street, Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Black Hills Trust and Savings Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Generations of Change (within shouting distance of this marker); Ride High, T.C., Ride High (within shouting distance of this marker); Serving the Black Hills Waite Block Annex (about 300 feet away); Spanish-American War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now (about 400 feet away); Jack McCall Capture Site (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high posts.
Also see . . .
1. Deadwood Carnegie Library. The Round Table Club and the Deadwood Women’s Club organized Deadwood’s first public library. In 1903, these women’s groups’ facilitated negotiations between the Deadwood City Commission and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for funds to build a library. Today, the Carnegie Library continues to serve both Deadwood citizens and visitors. It is also a repository of historic newspapers, photographs, and archives. (Submitted on August 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Carnegie Libraries: The Future Made Bright. Many Americans first entered the worlds of information and imagination offered by reading when they walked through the front doors of a Carnegie (Submitted on August 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Andrew Carnegie’s Story. Andrew Carnegie's philanthropic career began around 1870. Although he supported myriad projects and causes, he is best known for his gifts of free public library buildings, beginning in his native Dunfermline and ultimately extending throughout the English-speaking world, including the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. (Submitted on August 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. How Andrew Carnegie Turned His Fortune Into A Library Legacy. Andrew Carnegie was once the richest man in the world. Coming as a dirt poor kid from Scotland to the U.S., by the 1880s he'd built an empire in steel — and then gave it all away: $60 million to fund a system of 1,689 public libraries across the country. Carnegie libraries are still the best buildings in many towns. Over the years some have been expanded or torn down. And, in addition to books and computers, Carnegie libraries find new ways to (Submitted on September 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.