Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A trail across this region traveled and described by Alonso de Leon in 1690 became the "La Bahía" or "Lower Road" in the 18th century. First settlement, Atascocita, established in 1757. The town established May 5, 1831 as the "Villa de la Santísima Trinidad de la Libertad" (City of the Blessed Trinity of Liberty) became the county seat and gave the county its name when created and organized in 1836.
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 9669.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 3.382′ N, 94° 45.63′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on U.S. 90 0.7 miles east of Texas Highway 146, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty TX 77575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mexican Hill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Plaza de Mercado (approx. 2.1 miles away); Commercial Corner (approx. 2.1 miles away); Tarver Abstract Company (approx. 2.1 miles away); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sam Houston in Liberty County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sam Houston's Law Office (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Liberty County (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Also see . . . Liberty County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Liberty County.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 23 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.