Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 12, 1858. Organized August 2, 1858.
Named in honor of General Thomas Jefferson Chambers
The first and only superior judge of Texas before the Revolution. Member of Secession Convention of 1861.
County seat, Wallisville, 1858. Anahuac first known as Chambersea, since 1908.
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 9118.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 46.397′ N, 94° 40.532′ W. Marker is in Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Miller Road (State Highway 61), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1104 Miller Road, Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lone Star Canal (approx. half a mile away); Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office Chambersea (approx. 0.6 miles away); Juan Davis Bradburn (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Anahuac (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (approx. 1.4 miles away); Robert McAlpin Williamson (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
Also see . . . Chambers County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Chambers County.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.