Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Graydon

 
 
Graydon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 5, 2018
1. Graydon Marker
Inscription.  The farming community of Graydon flourished along the west fork of Double Bayou at the turn of the century. Benjamin F. Sterling (1831-1917), one of the earliest settlers in the area, brought his family here in 1869. He is credited with starting a school as early as 1877. A one-room schoolhouse was erected in 1893 on land provided by Jacob Carl Johnson. In 1895 Sterling opened a post office in his general store and named it "Graydon" for his grandson. His son Ross Sterling (1874-1949) a native of Graydon, served as governor of Texas, 1931-33.

In the late 1890s, real estate developers divided much of this fertile area into small farms to sell to families in the north and east. Rice, vegetables, and other crops were sent by boat down Double Bayou, the community's principal transportation artery, and across the bay to Galveston.

Marion Stines (1850-1916) became postmaster in 1912 and moved the post office to his store. The second Graydon schoolhouse, built in 1915 on land given by George Banks was the site of worship services and social events.

Graydon's population declined
Graydon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 5, 2018
2. Graydon Marker
because of reverses in the farm economy, destructive hurricanes, and the rise of motor travel which isolated the community. the post office closed in 1919 and the school in 1935.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12651.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
 
Location. 29° 41.451′ N, 94° 40.491′ W. Marker is near Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Eagle Road 2.8 miles south of Sykes Road (Farm to Market Road 2936), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of Governor Ross Shaw Sterling (1875-1949) (approx. 1.4 miles away); Round Point (approx. 3.2 miles away); William Barret Travis (approx. 4 miles away); Robert McAlpin Williamson (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fort Anahuac (approx. 4.6 miles away); Juan Davis Bradburn (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Graydon.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement