Eagle Pass in Maverick County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Eagle Pass Coal Mines
Another mining operation was the Eagle Pass Coal and Coke Company, formed in 1893 by Louis Dolch, J. B. Dibrell, and Emil Moshiem. Their mines (.25 miles south) supplied fuel for Southern Pacific Railroad locomotives until 1902. The town of Dolchburg, now called Seco Mines, was built in 1905, with housing for 90 workers. After Dolch's death in 1907, the International Coal Mine Company took over the operation. By 1910, this firm employed 350 men and produced about 1,000 tons of coal a day. Competition from oil, natural gas, and other fuels caused the mines to decline. The main Olmos Co. shafts closed in 1912, but Olmo's Lamar Mine (3.5 miles northeast) and the International Co. Mines were operating as late as 1925.
Location. 28° 45.3′ N, 100° 29.709′ W. Marker is in Eagle Pass, Texas, in Maverick County. Marker is on Del Rio Boulevard (U.S. 277) 0.1 miles north of Juanita Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Pass TX 78852, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maverick County Courthouse (approx. 3.2 miles away); Maverick County (approx. 3.2 miles away); Eagle Pass C.S.A. (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fort Duncan (approx. 3.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Duncan (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fort Duncan Infantry Barracks (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.