Near Falls City in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
El Fuerte del Cibolo
The land between the San Antonio River and Cibolo Creek, called "El Rincon", was part of an area deeded by the King of Spain to missions and many private individuals. The site of El Fuerte del Cibolo was part of a private ranch called El Rancho de San Bartolo which belonged to Andres Hernandez.
In 1772 the Spanish government formally authorized the establishment of fifteen presidios (forts) from California to Texas. El Fuerte del Cibolo, which had been reactivated in 1771, came under that authorization and remained an active fort until 1782. Twenty soldiers were stationed at El Fuerte del Cibolo on July 4, 1776. Some of them helped move cattle and horses from this area to the Gulf Coast, where Spanish forces under Gen. Bernardo de Galvez defeated the British during the American Revolution, thereby contributing to the winning of American independence.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1418.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 FM 3191, Falls City TX 78113, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Karnes County Courthouse (approx. 8.9 miles away); Karnes County (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.