Moore in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Nazareth Church Stone Marker
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
In 1765 Narareth’s first meeting house was built on this site. Made of logs cut from surrounding forest, pulpit of clapboard, seats of crude wooden plank, without backs and dirt floor. (Marker Number 136.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 34° 53.861′ N, 82° 1.841′ W. Marker is in Moore, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker can be reached from Nazareth Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 680 Nazareth Church Road, Moore SC 29369, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nazareth Frame House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nazareth Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast (approx. 2½ miles away); Camp Wadsworth (approx. 2.6 miles away); John B. White Sr., Blvd. (approx. 3.1 miles away); 15th N.Y. Infantry / Harlem Hell Fighters Colonel Warren H. Abernathy Highway (approx. 3½ miles away); Kevin Earl Carper (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moore.
More about this marker. The marker has a modest stone base with a plaque attached.
Regarding Nazareth Church Stone Marker. This is a remarkable location. Numerous plaques of war heros spanning Americas history from the Revolutionary War to the present.
Nazareth cemetery is one of the oldest in the upstate of South Carolina dating back to the Revolutionary War. People travel from all over the United States to visit their forefathers. A small gate at the back of the cemetery will lead you past two memorials at the edge of a tree line. You can then hike a trail to the “Meeting House Springs” where the first church was erected. Along the trial you will encounter several outlying graves that are clearly marked.
Nazareth Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the
Established in 1772 near the first permanent settlement in Spartanburg County, the Nazareth congregation first worshiped in a log meeting house erected the same year. The church served as the site of the first great revival in the area in 1802. The present church structure, constructed of homemade bricks in 1832, is the oldest public building in the county. The congregation added educational facilities in 1957. Adjoining the church is a cemetery that is one of the oldest in upper South Carolina.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Nazareth Presbyterian Church. Nazareth is one of 11,200 congregations of the Presbyterian Church USA and is a member of the Foothills Presbytery. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Nazareth Sketch of Nazareth. For more infromation about the history of Nazareth Church. (Submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina.)
3. Nazareth Church Pictorial Sketchs. Pictorial sketchs showing the way the church has appeared over the years. (Submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina.)
4. An Act to Incorporate the Nazareth Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg County (Submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Nazareth Church
Nazareth Church is situated in the district of Spartanburg, on the waters of Tyger river, towards its source. Its first formation proceeded from a few families, eight or ten in number, who obtained supplies in 1766, and were soon afterwards organized into a society.—(MS. Hist. of Second Presbytery of South Carolina.) The Rev. Robert H. Reid dates the first settlements on Tyger river about the year 1761. They certainly existed before the year 1765, for in that year the road that passes by the church between the North and Middle rivers was opened. The first settlers were Scotch-Irish from Pennsylvania. When they left the north of Ireland and came into Pennsylvania we have at present no means of ascertaining. Some of the families were in Pennsylvania as early as 1732, for in that year Captain Barry was born in that State. The names of the first settlers were Barry, Moore, Anderson, Collins, Thompson, Vernon, Pearson, Jamison, Dodd, Ray, Penrey, McMahon, and Nichol. About the year 1767 or 1768 their numbers were increased by a colony which came directly from the north of
— Submitted February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Additional keywords. War, Cemetery,1812,Civil,Spanish,American
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,109 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. 3. submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on August 5, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.