Hancock in Houghton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Main / Suomi College
Old Main (marker side 1)
Suomi College was founded in 1896 by the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. The cornerstone of Old Main, the first building erected at Suomi College, was laid on May 30, 1898. Jacobsville sandstone, quarried at the Portage Entry of the Keweenaw waterway, was brought here by barge, cut, and used to construct Old Main. Dedicated on January 21, 1900, it contained a dormitory, kitchen, laundry, classrooms, offices, library, chapel, and lounge. The burgeoning college quickly outgrew this building, and in 1901 a frame structure, housing a gym, meeting hall, and music center was erected on an adjacent lot. The frame building was demolished when Nikander Hall, named for Suomi’s founder, J. K. Nikander, was constructed in 1939. The hall was designed by the architectural firm of Saarinen and Swanson.
Suomi College (marker side 2)
In the 1880s large numbers of Finns immigrated to Hancock to labor in the copper and lumber industries. One immigrant, mission pastor J. K. Nikander of the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, headquartered in Hancock, wanted
Registered State Site No. 211
Property of the State of Michigan, 1991
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S211.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 47° 7.602′ N, 88° 35.354′ W. Marker is in Hancock, Michigan, in Houghton County. Marker is at the intersection of Quincy Street (U.S. 41) and Dakota Street, on the right when traveling west on Quincy Street. Marker is located on the grounds of the "Old Main" building of Finlandia University, directly in front of the subject building, just to the left Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Quincy Street, Hancock MI 49930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Finnish American National Historical Archive & Museum (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hancock / Town Hall and Fire Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); 321 Quincy Street (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Finnish Newspaper in America (approx. half a mile away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic Houghton (approx. 1.1 miles away); Clearing the Way (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hancock.
More about this marker. This is a two-sided marker: Old Main (side 1) and Suomi College (side 2).
Regarding Old Main / Suomi College. Finlandia University is the only private university in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Founded in 1896 as The Suomi College and Theological Seminary, it is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Old Main Building (1899): Michigan State Historic Site (1959), National Register of Historic Places (1972).
Also see . . . Old Main, Suomi College. Old Main, Suomi College is an educational building located on Quincy Street on the Finlandia University campus in Hancock, Michigan. It is also known as the Suomi College Building. Old Main is a three-story Richardsonian (Submitted on August 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Old Main / Suomi College.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.