Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Ghost Catholic School
Founded by Rev. Fr. Nicholas Juderman as a school for Black Catholic children. Land donated by Daughters of the Cross. Funding obtained from Mother Katherine Drexel, founder of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. Opened in 1917. First staffed by the Daughters of the Cross.
Erected by City Of Marksville.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 31° 7.479′ N, 92° 3.787′ W. Marker is in Marksville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is on East Mark Street west of South Preston Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 East Mark Street, Marksville LA 71351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Ghost Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marksville Masonic Lodge Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auguste Voinche Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. Horace Ducote Law Office (approx. ¼ mile away); Presentation Convent Chapel (approx. ¼ mile away); Frank Hotel Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Bailey Theater (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marksville.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2018.