Middlefield in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Originally called the James Thompson Inn, named for its builder, the son of Middlefield's first settler, Isaac Thompson, the Batavia House is Middlefield's oldest remaining structure. Built in 1818, the two-story wood frame structure was operated continually as an inn by Thompson until his death in 1877. It became the private residence of his daughter, Caroline, until 1907 when again it became an inn, functioning as the Century Inn until 1951. The one-story cement block portion was added circa 1950 to accommodate the weight of the heavy printing presses of the Shetler Printing Company, which occupied the building until 1983.[continued on other side]
(continued from other side) As the mid-point on the old turnpike linking Warren and Painesville, Middlefield was the stopping point for weary travelers. The inn played an important role in the travel between these cities by providing food and shelter to those passing through. It also hosted business meetings, township elections, and court proceedings. The original building helped to shape Middlefield's commercial and social development. Listed as the Batavia House on the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1987, the building honors Middlefield's original name, Batavia.
Erected 2002 by Middlefield
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 27.635′ N, 81° 4.367′ W. Marker is in Middlefield, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is at the intersection of North Cheshire Street and Goodwin Street, on the right when traveling north on North Cheshire Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middlefield OH 44062, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welton Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Hickox Brick (approx. 3.8 miles away); Burton (approx. 3.8 miles away); Under This Penstock Base (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Burton Village Historic District (approx. 3.8 miles away); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (approx. 3.9 miles away); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (approx. 3.9 miles away); Civil War Cannon (approx. 3.9 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.