Chardon in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Chardon Business District / Geauga County Courthouse
This block of Main Street overlooks the Geauga County Courthouse, which was built in 1869. The courthouse and the Main Street buildings, together which compose a district that has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places, are excellent examples of the High Victorian Italianate architectural style. Going north from Court Street, the first two buildings were erected in 1873. The Opera House dates from 1875. The jail was constructed in 1868 just after the fire, followed by the new jail of 1874, and the sheriff's house of 1909. Memorial Hall (now the Courthouse Annex) dates from 1875. Last on the block is the Victorian Gothic Church built in 1882,
L.J. Randall, builder of the Randall Block on Main Street, was contractor for the courthouse; Joseph Ireland (active in Cleveland 1865-1885) was the architect. Looking at the Geauga County Courthouse, note the square tower which changes to an octagon one full story above the roofline. The courthouse's cupola reaches 112 feet, and contains an antique clock mechanism renovated in 1996 by the community and Chapter 28-The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. The bandstand on the village public green is a reconstruction of the 1875 original. The bandstand was dedicated by the community in 1981, and the brick memorial walkway
Erected 1997 by Chardon Square Association, Inc. and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 34.962′ N, 81° 12.239′ W. Marker is in Chardon, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles south of North Hambden Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chardon OH 44024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chardon Business District (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Old" Chardon Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fowlers Mill Historic District / Fowlers Mill (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fowlers Mill Historic District / A.B. Carlson Building (approx. 4.7 miles away); First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC (approx. 4.7 miles away); Welton Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Burton Congregational Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); Civil War Cannon (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chardon.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.