Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rocksprings in Edwards County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Edwards County

 
 
Edwards County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel
1. Edwards County Marker
Inscription. Atop the Edwards Plateau, extending into the scenic Nueces Valley. Angora goat capital of the world. The economy is based on ranching. Wild game is abundant. Created in 1858 and organized 1883 from old Bexar district. Named for Haden Edwards (1813-1865), an early leader and colonizer in Texas. First county seat was Leakey; present boundaries were created, and county seat was moved on April 13, 1891, to Rocksprings. First courthouse and jail were built that year. After a fire in 1897, the present courthouse was erected; it withstood a destructive tornado that claimed 72 lives in the county in 1927. First officials to serve the county (1891-1893) as it is presently constituted were the following: James M. Hunter, County Judge; W. M. Sanford, County and District Clerk; Ira L. Wheat, Sheriff and Tax Collector; S.A. Hough, County Attorney; W.H. Cowan, County Treasurer County Commissioners: John Eaton, Precinct No. 1; C. H. Kirchner, Precinct No. 2; H. Schweithelm, Precinct No. 3; M. M. Bradford, Precinct No. 4
 
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1400.)
 
Location. 30° 0.951′ N, 100° 12.485′ W. Marker is in Rocksprings, Texas, in Edwards County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main
Edwards County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel
2. Edwards County Marker
Street and North Well Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocksprings TX 78880, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 19 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Sesquicentennial Committee Erects This Marker (here, next to this marker); Edwards County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocksprings Telephone Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Carson Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Headquarters, American Angora Goat Breeders' Assn. (about 400 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Vance Cemetery (approx. 18.2 miles away).
 
Categories. DisastersPoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
Angora Goat Statue image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel
3. Angora Goat Statue
inscription
ANGORA BILLY GOAT
Dedicated to the pioneers who made Edwards County the Angora goat capital of the world.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement