Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rocksprings in Edwards County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Methodist Church

Of Rocksprings

 
 
First Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel
1. First Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation traces its beginning to organized religious gatherings led by the Rev. D. O. McAllister in a schoolhouse located on property owned by Mary Buswell in 1893. Early worship services were also held in a public schoolhouse and in the county courthouse. Contributors to the church's initial success include donors of land J. R. Stanford, S. A. Hough, and Dave Elms; organizers of Sunday Schools and church socials J. J. Gill, Ira L. Wheat, and Mrs. J. R. Stanford; and donors of buckets filled with silver dollars, saloon owners Herman Fleischer, Sr., Joe Burris and George Newton. The first church structure was built about 1900. It was used by the entire community for religious worship until other church buildings could be erected. A storm and tornado, so severe as to detach the church bell clapper and deposit it five miles away, ripped through the community in 1927 destroying the church structure and killing First Methodist Church minister H. L. Spires and his wife. The congregation quickly recovered and erected a new building in 1928. The congregation has supported missionary work in many parts of the world, including Korea and Zaire.
First Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel
2. First Methodist Church Marker
Church pastors have continued the early practice of serving Methodist congregations throughout the county.
 
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1768.)
 
Location. 30° 1.002′ N, 100° 12.564′ W. Marker is in Rocksprings, Texas, in Edwards County. Marker is at the intersection of West Austin Street and North College Street, on the right when traveling west on West Austin Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocksprings TX 78880, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 19 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Headquarters, American Angora Goat Breeders' Assn. (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocksprings Telephone Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edwards County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Edwards County (about 500 feet away); The Sesquicentennial Committee Erects This Marker (about 500 feet away); Old Carson Store (about 600 feet away); Vance Cemetery (approx. 18.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionDisasters
 

More. Search the internet for First Methodist Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement