Clarksville in Montgomery County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The first bank in the world staffed and managed entirely by women began business in the Arlington on October 6, 1919. The bank existed for seven years, closing in 1926.
The hotel had several owners over the years, eventually becoming the Montgomery Hotel circa 1930. The hotel was razed in 1973 and the site became a city parking lot.
Erected 1992 by the City of Clarksville.
Location. 36° 31.602′ N, 87° 21.511′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Tennessee, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South 2nd Street (Old State Highway 76) and Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south on South 2nd Street. Touch for map. Located across from the Montgomery
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montgomery County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Newspaper (within shouting distance of this marker); Austin Peay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Colonel Valentine Sevier (about 500 feet away); Horace H. Lurton (about 500 feet away); Legion Street (about 500 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); John Montgomery Statue (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
More about this marker. The monument was restored in 2017.
Also see . . . City of Clarksville Arlington Monument restoration dedication in 2017. (Submitted on September 4, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 145 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.