Near Balsam Grove in Transylvania County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Restoring A Forest
The North Carolina Daughters of the American Revolution donated money to plant 50,000 red spruce trees on the mountainside across the road from Devils Courthouse. The DAR Jubilee Memorial Forest was planted over a three-year period from 1941-1943 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 35° 18.312′ N, 82° 53.958′ W. Marker is near Balsam Grove, North Carolina, in Transylvania County. Marker is on Blue Ridge Parkway (at milepost 422.4), 0.9 miles north of Lake Logan Road (State Highway 215), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Devil's Courthouse overlook, on a platform beside the sidewalk, near the northeast corner of the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Balsam Grove NC 28708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Devil's Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); North Carolina Confederate Veterans Memorial Forest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Forest Decline (approx. 4 miles away); Highest Elevation on Blue Ridge Parkway (approx. 4 miles away); Looking Glass Rock (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Looking Glass Rock (approx. 6.9 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 7.3 miles away); Forestry School (approx. 7.4 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high posts.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. North Carolina Confederate Veterans Memorial Forest
Also see . . .
1. North Carolina Confederate Veterans Memorial Forest. For the Confederate forest one acre of trees was to be planted by the Forest Service for each five dollar donation raised by the U.D.C. which was given a choice of locations. The site finally chosen had been logged in the early 1900ís leaving a barren, flood-prone mountainside. This location was picked because it was on the route of the Blue Ridge Parkway then under construction. By the summer of 1942 enough funds had been (Submitted on September 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The "Penny Pine" program. In 1939, the President General, Mrs. Henry M. Robert, chose the Penny Pine program as one of her Golden Jubilee National Projects. Each state was to have a memorial forest, beginning in 1939 and culminating in 1941 on the NSDAR 50th Anniversary. Each chapter across the country was to pledge, at the very least, one acre of pine seedlings. Five dollars an acre at a penny each equals 500 trees. The Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC), under the supervision of the U.S. Forestry Service, would do the actual work of planting and care. (Submitted on September 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.