Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gonzales in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James W. Robinson

First Lieutenant Governor of Texas

 

(1800-1857)

 
James W. Robinson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, September 20, 2018
1. James W. Robinson Marker
Inscription. First Lieutenant Governor of Texas James W. Robinson (1800-1857) Born in Indiana. Came to Texas in 1833. Elected lieutenant governor in November, 1835, Served as governor January to March 1836, then fought as a private in the Battle of San Jacinto April 21, 1836. Later lived in Gonzales, was judge of the fourth judicial district, and member of Supreme Court.

Since Robinson's term, 35 men have served in this capacity. Nine became governor by succession, seven were elected governor. One, Allan Shivers, succeeded to the governorship and served longer in that office than any other man: 7 years, 6 months and 5 days. The first native son to serve Texas as lieutenant governor was William P. Hobby in 1915.

This elective office is the second highest in the state. Qualifications for lieutenant governor are the same as for governor and he may be called upon to succeed to that office at any time. The salary is the same as for members of the State Senate.

The lieutenant governor presides over the Senate and appoints senators to the 24 standing committees. Through this broad power he may direct the course of legislation. He is chairman of the Legislative Budget Board and the Texas Legislative Council.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1735.)
James W. Robinson Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, September 20, 2018
2. James W. Robinson Marker Area

 
Location. 29° 30.064′ N, 97° 27.155′ W. Marker is in Gonzales, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is at the intersection of North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183) and St. Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling north on North St. Joseph Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 N St. Joseph Street, Gonzales TX 78629, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gonzales Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Andrew Ponton (within shouting distance of this marker); Gonzales County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Military Plaza (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church of Gonzales (about 500 feet away); The Old Eighteen (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gonzales.
 
Also see . . .  James W. Robinson (Texas and California). on Wikipedia (Submitted on September 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Politics
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 20 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement