Benton in Marshall County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
County Named, 1842
Area first settled about time of the Jackson Purchase in 1818. First church west of Tenn. River in Ky., started by Rev. H. Darnall, Baptist, in 1819 on Soldier Creek.
Formed from Calloway County.
Erected 1965 by the Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 874.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 36° 51.44′ N, 88° 21.002′ W. Marker is in Benton, Kentucky, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of Poplar Street and East 12th Street, on the left when traveling north on Poplar Street. Touch for map. Located on the east side of the Marshall County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: Poplar Street, Benton KY 42025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benton County Vietnam Conflict Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Kentucky Writer (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall County Civil War Cannon James R. Lemon (1848-1919) (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Action (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shelby McCallum (approx. ¾ mile away); Inundated Site (approx. 6.1 miles away); Andrew Jackson Smith (approx. 11½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benton.
Also see . . . Western Kentucky History - History of Marshall County. (Submitted on September 23, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.