Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Staunton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stuart Hall

 
 
Stuart Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2008
1. Stuart Hall Marker
Inscription. Chartered on 13 January 1744 as the Virginia Female Institute, Stuart Hall is Virginia’s oldest college preparatory school for girls. The Rev. Dr. Richard H. Phillips headed the school from 1848 until 1880. Flora Cooke Stuart, “Mrs. General” J.E.B. Stuart, for whom the school was renamed in 1807, was principal from 1880 until 1899. Two of General Robert E. Lee’s daughters attended Stuart Hall, and Lee served as president of the school’s board of visitors from 1865 until 1870.
 
Erected 1993 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number I-21.)
 
Location. 38° 9.017′ N, 79° 4.617′ W. Marker is in Staunton, Virginia. Marker is on West Frederick Street west of North Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 235 W. Frederick St., Staunton VA 24401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Church ( about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wesleyan Female Institute ( about 600 feet away); Dr. Alexander Humphreys ( about 700 feet away); The Hon. Archibald Stuart ( approx. 0.2 miles
Stuart Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2008
2. Stuart Hall and Marker
away); Ast Building ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta National Bank Building ( approx. ¼ mile away); T. J. Collins & Son ( approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Dr. Alexander Humphreys ( approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staunton.
 
Additional comments.
1. Stuart Hall (Virginia Female Institute) in the Civil War
The school was forced to abandon these buildings on July 21, 1861, to make room for use by the Institute for the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind whose buildings were turned over for use as a Confederate hospital.
    — Submitted March 17, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.

 
Categories. Education
 
Old Main, Stuart Hall School image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2008
3. Old Main, Stuart Hall School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,496 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement