Near Sugar Grove in Pendleton County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
“The Wilfong Church” / St. Michaels Lutheran Church
“The Wilfong Church.” Four acres of land for church and cemetery were purchased for one shilling on October 1, 1794 from German immigrant couple, Michael and Sophia Wilfong. Historically and locally known as “The Wilfong Church” because of the patronage of the Wilfong family and large number of family members who attended the church and are buried in the cemetery.
St. Michaels Lutheran Church. First St. Michaels Lutheran Church on this site was a log structure built circa 1800; burned and rebuilt in 1921. It served German speaking immigrants who settled in area in mid-to-late 18th century. Earliest record,in German, of church service held here is January 1, 1807. Weekly services were held here until 1974, before consolidation with three other nearby Lutheran churches.
Erected 2003 by Pendelton County Historical Society and the West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
Location. 38° 28.467′ N, 79° 19.912′ W. Marker is near Sugar Grove, West Virginia, in Touch for map. It is at the church. Marker is in this post office area: Brandywine WV 26802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Highland County / West Virginia (approx. 9.1 miles away in Virginia); West Virginia / Virginia (approx. 9.1 miles away); Trout Rock (approx. 9.2 miles away); Trout Rock Fort (approx. 9.2 miles away); Propst Lutheran Church (approx. 9.7 miles away); Confederate Prayer Service (approx. 9.9 miles away); Devonian Shale (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.