Standish in Arenac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historic Standish Depot
Built in 1889 by
Michigan Central Railroad
with help of local farmers.
Elizabeth Walker Warren Chapter
National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
September 16, 2010
Erected 2010 by Elizabeth Walker Warren Chapter of Michigan National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 43° 58.999′ N, 83° 57.614′ W. Marker is in Standish, Michigan, in Arenac County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (U.S. 23) north of West Cedar Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the Standish Railroad Depot building, in a small garden between the parking lot and the main front entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 North Main Street, Standish MI 48658, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Omer Masonic Hall (approx. 6.9 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a metal plaque,
Regarding Historic Standish Depot. Michigan State Historic Site (1977), National Register of Historic Places (1991)
Also see . . .
1. The Standish Historical Depot Welcome Center. The original depot was built in 1871 (south of M-61) just after the Lansing, Jackson and Saginaw Railroad finished a new line north of Bay City to Wells. The City of Standish was platted around the railroad line, so the railroad was the key to the community's growth and success. The construction of the Standish Depot was a two year process. It began in 1887 and was completed by 1889. The depot suffered a fire sometime during the construction phase, there is no official record of a specific date. (Submitted on September 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Michigan Central Railroad Standish Depot. The Michigan Central Railroad depot is a single story Richardsonian Romanesque structure constructed from fieldstone on a fieldstone foundation. Stone slabs are used for the window sills and lintels. The steep roof has a gable at one end and a hip roof at the other. The front facade has a central entrance reached from a broad porch, flanked by building extensions of the freight room and waiting room. The entrance opens into the former waiting room, which takes up the north (Submitted on September 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Standish Depot, Michigan Central Railroad. This town is not named for the famous Miles Standish, the man who was the military commander of the Plymouth Colony from 1621 through about 1645. This Michigan city is named after John Standish who platted the area in 1871 and then ran a saw mill here. Prior to the arrival of Mr. Standish, the area was known as Granton. (Submitted on September 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.