Fort Pierre in Stanley County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Fort Pierre Plain
Joseph LaFramboise built Fort LaFramboise out of driftwood in 1817 near the mouth of the Bad River. This area is the oldest continually occupied Euro-American settlement in South Dakota. There were several fur outposts on this river plain up until the 1860s.
Fort Pierre Chouteau was AFC's main depot on the Upper Missouri. Along with Fort Union in North Dakota, it supplied a system of smaller posts and trading area throughout the Dakota. In 1855, Fort Pierre Chouteau was sold to the United States Army. It was abandoned in 1857.
In 1822 the Columbia Fur Company established Fort Tecumseh upstream near the landing of the west side of the highway bridge. Joseph moved his operation to Moody County near Flandreau that same year. LaFramboise Island is named for him. In 1827, the American Fur Company (AFC) acquired the Columbia Fur Company and renamed it the Upper Missouri Outfit.
Fort Tecumseh was too close to the river and in danger of eroding. The AFC abandoned the fort and constructed Fort Pierre Chouteau several hundred yards to the northwest in 1832.
Sponsored by the South Dakota State Historical Society, a Preserve America grant, and the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Railroad Corporation. Images courtesy of the South Dakota State Historical Society and The Library of Congress.
Ft. Primeau (1860's)
Ft. LaFramboise II (1862-1863)
Ft. Pierre II (1859-1863)
Ft Galpin (1857-?)
Ft. Teton II (1828-1830)
Ft. Pierre Chouteau (1832-1855)
Ft. Tecumsea (1822-1831)
Sublette & Campbell Post (1833-1834)
Ft. LaFramboise I (A.K.A. FT. Teton) (1817-1822)
Items such as this lock (upper left), millstone (left), and clay pipe (lower left) were used at Fort Pierre Chouteau.
Pierre Chouteau Jr.'s fur trading license from 1839 (Library of Congress)
Location. 44° 21.172′ N, 100° 22.144′ W. Marker is in Fort Pierre, South Dakota, in Stanley County. Touch for map. Located in Fischers Lilly Park off Ash Street. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Pierre SD 57532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lewis and Clark Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis and Clark First Sioux Nation Meeting (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockgrowers Bank (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Verendrye Explorers (approx. half a mile away); The Verendrye Site (approx. half a mile away); Translation of the Verendrye Plate (approx. half a mile away); Verendrye Tablet Site (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Verendrye Site (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Pierre.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.