Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sioux Falls in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Foundation of the City

 
 
Foundation of the City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 21, 2016
1. Foundation of the City Marker
Inscription.
Quartzite is the stone you see revealed throughout Falls Park. Sioux Quartzite is the local name for his stone. It was also called Jasper. Sioux Quartzite provided both the physical and financial base for the city of Sioux Falls.

Quartzite is very hard — harder than granite and nearly as hard as diamond. Sioux Quartzite, the bedrock under all of Sioux Falls, is dramatically exposed in several areas including Falls Park.

Several companies in the Falls area quarried and sold quartzite. Other businesses grew up around the Falls, attracted by the promise of harnessing the energy of the river. These businesses were the financial foundation of the young city.

The high cost of cutting the stone and the development of less expensive construction methods lead to the decline of Sioux Quartzite as a building and paving material. The stone is still quarried, but today it is used mainly as crushed stone in concrete and road pavement.

Sioux Quartzite's distinctive color, strength and durability made it a desirable building material. It was used to build the finer buildings and homes in Sioux Falls. Cut stones and paving blocks were also sold to many other cities in the U.S. and Europe, to be used for their prominent buildings and streets.

A number of Sioux Falls' significant buildings were
Marker detail: An early advertisement promotes Quartzite's use as a building material image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: An early advertisement promotes Quartzite's use as a building material
constructed with Sioux Quartzite. An excellent example is the Federal Building, formerly the Post Office, in downtown Sioux Falls. The building stone was cut from quarries near the Falls. Originally it was a two-story building, completed in 1895. In later years, a third floor and additions were built.
 
Location. 43° 33.33′ N, 96° 43.367′ W. Marker is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker can be reached from North Weber Avenue 0.2 miles south of East Falls Park Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in Falls Park, along the walkway on the north side of the Queen Bee Mill Ruins. Marker is in this post office area: Sioux Falls SD 57104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beginning of Great Changes (here, next to this marker); Harnessing the River (a few steps from this marker); Namesake of the City (a few steps from this marker); Inland Seas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Queen Bee Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hive of the Queen City (about 300 feet away); The Sioux Quartzite (about 500 feet away); Legacy of Ice and Rock (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce
 
Marker detail: 1893 photo of the Post Office (Federal Building) under construction image. Click for full size.
By Siouxland Heritage Museum Photograph
3. Marker detail: 1893 photo of the Post Office (Federal Building) under construction
Foundation of the City Marker (<i>wide view - south along Big Sioux River above the falls</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 21, 2016
4. Foundation of the City Marker (wide view - south along Big Sioux River above the falls)
US Courthouse & Federal Building, Sioux Falls, South Dakota image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 21, 2016
5. US Courthouse & Federal Building, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
An excellent example is the Federal Building, formerly the Post Office, in downtown Sioux Falls. The building stone was cut from quarries near the Falls. Originally it was a two-story building, completed in 1895. In later years, a third floor and additions were built.
Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science (formerly Washington High School) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 21, 2016
6. Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science (formerly Washington High School)
From Wikipedia: The Pavilion was a result of a renovation of Washington High School. The building's facade is created from large blocks of Sioux Quartzite, a pinkish quartzite native to the area and seen at the falls of the Big Sioux River.
Andrew Kuehn Company Building image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 21, 2016
7. Andrew Kuehn Company Building
Andrew Kuehn built this quartzite building in 1903 for a wholesale grocery distribution center and warehouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   7. submitted on October 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement