Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oxford in Oxfordshire, England, United Kingdom
 

Oxfordshire County Council

 
 
Oxfordshire County Council Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 8, 2018
1. Oxfordshire County Council Marker
Inscription.
Welcome to Oxfordshire County Council

The modern building in front of you is County Hall, headquarters of Oxfordshire County Council. It was opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 1976.
The County Council is responsible for key public services in Oxfordshire, including schools, libraries, social and health care, roads, fire and rescue, trading standards, the museums service, county records, registration and waste management.
Many meetings of the County Council are open to the public.
For full details or further information it the reception area at the front of the building or contact xxxx or write to Oxfordshire County Council, County Hall, New Road, Oxford OX1 1ND or visit our website at www.oxfordshire.gov.uk

The adjoining castellated building to your right is the old County Hall, which was built in 1841. It still houses the Council Chamber and a historic courtroom which was in use as a Crown Court until 1985 and saw many important criminal trials.
This building is on the site of Oxford Castle, which was built by Robert d'Oilly in 1071. Parts of the castle - St George's Tower, the base of the Round Tower and the Mound – survive today. Oxford's former prison, a fine example of a Victorian prison which finally closed in 1996, is situated behind the castellated building. To ensure
Oxfordshire County Council Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 8, 2018
2. Oxfordshire County Council Marker
permanent public access, these historic sites have been incorporated into a new heritage and hotel complex.
One hundred yards to your right is Castle Mound, which was an important part of the Castle's defence. It was constructed by forced Saxon labour from material dug out of the surrounding moat. On top there would have originally been a tall wooden tower dominating the main route into the city from the west.
 
Location. 51° 45.113′ N, 1° 15.677′ W. Marker is in Oxford, England, in Oxfordshire. Marker is at the intersection of New Road and Oxford Castle, on the left when traveling west on New Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford, England OX1 1AY, United Kingdom.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old County Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Oxford Castle (within shouting distance of this marker); Oxfordshire Boer War Memorial (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Prison Governor’s House (about 90 meters away); Archaeology, the Castle Ditch (about 90 meters away); The Motte and Bailey (about 90 meters away); The Perimeter Wall (about 120 meters away); Prison Debtors’ Tower (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
 
Also see . . .  Oxfordshire County Council
Oxfordshire County Hall image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 8, 2018
3. Oxfordshire County Hall
. (Submitted on October 5, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement