Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brevard in Transylvania County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Philip's Parish

 
 
St. Philip's Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 12, 2008
1. St. Philip's Parish Marker
Inscription. The first recorded Episcopal service in what is now Transylvania County was June 5, 1856. St Pauls-in-the-Valley (2.5 miles south) was organized soon after and a church constructed. After the Civil War, the parish was reorganized in Brevard as St. Philip's to honour the Charleston parish of many of its founders. A wooden church begun in 1883 and adjacent cemetery were located where the present building now stands. That building was destroyed by fire Christmas Day, 1925. The present Gothic structure, built over the old cemetery in 1926, was designed by architect Louis Humbert Asbury.
 
Erected by family and friends of James Harrison Brown.
 
Location. 35° 13.913′ N, 82° 43.82′ W. Marker is in Brevard, North Carolina, in Transylvania County. Marker is on E Main Street (U.S. 276) near St. Phillips Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brevard NC 28712, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Transylvania County Courthouse (approx. mile away); In Honor and Memory (approx. mile away); College Stone Wall and Gate (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Weaver College Bell
St. Philip's Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 12, 2008
2. St. Philip's Parish Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Weaver College Bell Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brevard College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walton War (approx. 1.1 miles away); Estatoe Path (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brevard.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.LandmarksNotable Buildings
 
St. Philip's Parish image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 12, 2008
3. St. Philip's Parish
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement