Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dickson in Dickson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Dickson, Tennessee,100 Years 1899-1999

 
 
Dickson, Tennessee,100 Years 1899-1999 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 9, 2018
1. Dickson, Tennessee,100 Years 1899-1999 Marker
Inscription. 1899-Town grants railroad permission to build overpass/underground on Charlotte Street, the western edge of the city limits.
1900-Ordinance passed requiring all business to have board sidewalks * Population is 1363 residents
1901-Citizens vote to build a water and electric plant
1905-Great fire destroys some 21 building on Main Street north from the railroad
1906-First street lights
1908-Water plant constructed *Land purchased for the first public school in Dickson at the corner of Bryan and E. Walnut Streets.
1909-Property owners required to sprinkle Main Street to keep down dust.
1911-Graystone Hotel opens at the corner of College and Main Streets * Construction of Walnut Street Church of Christ building.
1912-First electric meters installed * The town has 87 water customers and 134 electric customers *Lots facing the railroad switched to face Main Street on the east side * First Dickson County Fair held in Dickson * Construction begins on a toll road from Dickson to Charlotte
1913-Railroad requires the town to install a new septic tank if a new depot is to be built *Payne Springs is purchased by the town for $500
1914-The Town's first speed limit-20mph
1919-first four-year high school opens in Dickson
1920-All houses are numbered for mail delivery
1923-First
Dickson, Tennessee,100 Years 1899-1999 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 9, 2018
2. Dickson, Tennessee,100 Years 1899-1999 Marker
service held in the First Methodist Church on Main Street *Construction begins on Hwy one from Burns to Dickson
1925-Construction of Main Street from Murrell to Walnut Street
1927-New sewer plant completed * Construction approved for Dickson Avenue
1928-First radios come to Dickson*First Model-A automobile sold in Dickson *First real fire engine purchased *First Boy Scout troop in Dickson
1929-First talking movie comes to Dickson
1931-Town's school charter abolished * Circuit and chancery courts abolished in Dickson
1933-Dedication of the new War Memorial Building
i1935-Construction of City Lake begins
1936-First Federal Saving and Loan opens
1937-U.S. Post Office opens in downtown Dickson * First lights installed for night football games in Dickson
1938-Dickson selected for a National Guard Armory
1939-Dual telephones come to Dickson
1940-National Guard Armory constructed on the fairgrounds
1942-First blackout for the town ordered during World War II
1943-No Irish potatoes could be found or sale anywhere in town
1946-Permits issued to build 50 homes in Coville Park, Homes priced from $6800 to $6100 *East Hills Subdivision begins
1947-Construction begins on Greenfield Subdivision *Parking meters installed downtown on a trial basis, lasting 32 years
1949-Natural gas turned
The Renaissance Center Freed-Hardeman University Dickson image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 9, 2018
3. The Renaissance Center Freed-Hardeman University Dickson
on
1951-The great blizzard *Catholic church building constructed on W. College St.
1952-Overhead railroad bridge on Highway 70 west constructed
1953-2000th telephone installed in Dickson
1954-Bank of Dickson opens *Health Department opens on Academy Street
1955-Dickson Municipal Building constructed *WKDN radio goes on the air
1956-Mercury streetlights installed *3000th telephone on Dickson exchange installed
1957-Goodlark Hospital constructed (now known as Horizon Medical Center)
1958-Dickson first Rotary Club Charted
1959-First Old Timer's Day
1962-Overhead railroad bridge at Herman Street (Avenue)demolished * Council votes to extend city limits to Old Columbia Road on the east side *Direct long distance dialing begins in Dickson
1963-Highway 70 by-pass (Henslee Drive)opens *Fire hall construction on Church Street at cost of $50,000
1966-West Mead subdivision opens *Frank Clement Vocational School (Tennessee Technology Center ) opens
1970-84% eclipse of the sun in Dickson. Next eclipse of this magnitude will be in 2084 * New sidewalks paid for by the merchants poured in downtown Dickson
1972-Luther Lake donated to the city by the Luther Family * Consolidated Dickson County Senior High school opens in Dickson
1973-Dickson County library opens on Hunt Street
1975-Land purchased for an industrial park on Old Columbia Road *City appropriates funds to build Senior Citizen Center on West Walnut Street
1978-Buckner Park opens
1979-Crosby Recreational Center opens at the old armory
1988-Dickson County High School State football champs
1989-Dickson High Noon Club *Greater Dickson Gas Authority established
1994-The Great Ice Storm
1996-Dickson Good Morning Rotary Charted
1998-Grey Stone Gold Club opens *New Inn and Convention Center at Montgomery Bell State Park opens
1999-Opening of the Renaissance Center on Highway 46

Side 2

1899-1999

Dickson Circa 1867

This is the plot of the Town of Smeedsville in the year 1867, the name was changed to Dickson in 1983 when the town was charted. Three streets ran north and south and one street ran east and west. Smeedsville was established by the Union Army in 1862 as the Union forces completed the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad from Kingston Springs to Johnsonville. The town relinquished its charter in 1883 and remained unincorporated until a new charter was granted by the State of Tennessee on April 22, 1899.

Dickson Circa 1899
Population 1363

Dickson Circa 1999
Population 12,500

This monument presented to the City of Dickson
in Observance of It's Centennial on April 22, 1999
by the Dickson Good Morning Rotary Club

Jamie James William Johnson Bill Legier Anthony Linder Jo Ann McWilliams Mark Michaels Sue Mills Steve Overton Pam Porter Bugs Proctor Dale Ragan Pam Redden Greg Richards Helen Rouse Michelle Singleton Eric Spence Allen Stephenson Donna Street Barbara Thompson Eric Thornton Clay Tidwell Chad Upchurch Erwin Upchurch Tom Wall Rhonda Wilkes Sandra Williams Tom Williams Charter Member Founder Susan Shepard
 
Erected 1999 by Dickson Good Morning Rotary Club.
 
Location. 36° 4.436′ N, 87° 23.421′ W. Marker is in Dickson, Tennessee, in Dickson County. Marker is on Center Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This Marker is located on the left front side on the lawn of War Memorial Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: Center Avenue, Dickson TN 37055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War II 1940-1946 (here, next to this marker); World War I 1917-1919 (here, next to this marker); 1950 Korean Conflict 1955/1964 Vietnam Era 1975 (here, next to this marker); War Memorial Building (here, next to this marker); Frank Goad Clement (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mile Post 42 (about 700 feet away); Civil War Railroad (about 700 feet away); First National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dickson.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement