Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Yellow Springs in Greene County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Antioch College

 
 
Antioch College Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
1. Antioch College Marker
Inscription. Chartered in 1852 by the Christian Church and later a Unitarian institution, Antioch College opened with educational pioneer Horace Mann as its first president. One of the earliest co-educational colleges in the United States, from its inception Antioch promoted humanistic and egalitarian values. In 1920 Arthur E. Morgan became president and initiated a widely emulated cooperative work-study program. The Antioch Review, one of the oldest literary magazines in America, began publication in 1941. In 1978 the college reincorporated as part of Antioch University, a multi-campus system headquartered in Yellow Springs.
 
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The International Paper Company Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-29.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 47.992′ N, 83° 53.392′ W. Marker is in Yellow Springs, Ohio, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of Livermore Street and Center College Street, on the left when traveling south on Livermore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 795 Livermore Street, Yellow Springs OH 45387, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Antioch College Marker with Antioch Hall in background image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
2. Antioch College Marker with Antioch Hall in background
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Antioch College / and Glen Helen (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glen Helen Natural Area (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moncure Daniel Conway / The Conway Colony (approx. half a mile away); Historic Grinnell Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Erastus Mitchell Birch (approx. 1.4 miles away); Horace Mann (approx. 1.4 miles away); Camp Birch (approx. 2.2 miles away); John Bryan (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yellow Springs.
 
Also see . . .  Educational Contributions of Horace Mann. (Submitted on October 14, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Closing of Antioch College
Antioch College closed on June 30, 2008. There are plans to reopen a new, fully independent, Antioch College at a later date.
    — Submitted October 16, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Civil RightsEducationNotable Persons
 
Yellow Springs, proud to be the home of Antioch College image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
3. Yellow Springs, proud to be the home of Antioch College
This "Welcome to" Yellow Springs sign heralds the presence of Antioch College. It's located on U.S. 68 0.2 miles south of Kahoe Lane (approx. 1 mile away, coordinates: 39 47.356′ N, 83 54.123′ W).
Another View of the Yellow Springs sign image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
4. Another View of the Yellow Springs sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 975 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 13, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement