Coventry in West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
This Tower and Spire formed the centre of the Church of the Grey Friars built in 1350 with stone from a quarry nearby owned by the Black Prince.
The Friary was demolished in 1512 but the spire was left standing in a garden until 1829 when Christchurch was built around it.
The Church was destroyed during the bombing of the City in November 1940 but the Tower and Spire once again survived.
The site was purchased by Coventry Corporation who restored the Tower and Spire 1970.
Redgrave Clarke, Architects
Location. 52° 24.347′ N, 1° 30.694′ W. Marker is in Coventry, England, in West Midlands. Marker is at the intersection of New Union Street and Greyfriars Lane, on the right when traveling west on New Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coventry, England CV1 2PS, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dresden Place (a few steps from this marker); Grey Friars Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); The Quadrant (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Angela Brazil (about 90 meters away); Ford’s Hospital (about 90 Dame Ellen Terry (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The Architect’s Vision (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Donald Gibson CBE (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
Also see . . . Greyfriars, Coventry on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.