The White Haven Estate: Other Houses
Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Julia's brother Louis built Wish-ton=Wish (a Native American word for whippoorwill) in 1848. It served as a temporary home for Ulysses and Julia in 1855 and on their visits to St. Louis during Grant's presidency. Fire destroyed the house in 1873.
Ulysses built a house in 1856 on 80 acres that Colonel Dent gave the Grants as a wedding gift, although no deed legalized the transfer. Julia did not like the crude log cabin, facetiously named Hardscrabble. They lived there only three months, returning to the main house upon Mrs. Dent;s death. The cabin is now located at Grant's Farm.
This slave cabin from a neighboring farm is typical of cabins in the area. Documents indicate that as many as twelve slave cabins
Location. 38° 33.125′ N, 90° 21.094′ W. Marker is near St. Louis, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker can be reached from Grant Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7400 Grant Road, Saint Louis MO 63123, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Owners of the Farm (here, next to this marker); New Buildings for White Haven (here, next to this marker); Slaves Only (here, next to this marker); The Roads to White Haven (here, next to this marker); The Working Farm (here, next to this marker); White Haven's Outbuildings (here, next to this marker); Green Haven? (here, next to this marker); Outbuildings / ~150 Years Ago—Colored Troops (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The White Haven Estate: Other Houses.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on October 15, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.