Erected 2016 by Town of Glenville.
Location. 42° 49.899′ N, 73° 55.851′ W. Marker is in Glenville, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker can be reached from Freeman's Bridge Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker can be seen in the Freemans Bridge Fishing Access Site, next to the Lighthouse Restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Schenectady NY 12302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. ALCo's Legacy (approx. ¼ mile away); "Big Boy" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Casey Jones (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named ALCo's Legacy (approx. 0.7 miles away); ALCo Site (approx. ¾ mile away); Second Ward Second World War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Whipple Bowstring Truss (approx. one mile away); Nott Memorial (approx. one mile away).
Regarding Seeley House. John H. Seeley purchased the land here probably soon
In 1851, he purchased the land the house is now on from Volney Freeman, a prominent Schenectadian who owned property on both sides of the river. It was Freeman who in 1855 built the first Freeman’s Bridge, linking his two parcels of property as well as Schenectady and the town of Glenville. Previously, Freeman had owned the ferry business that had crossed the Mohawk at that point. Soon afterwards Freeman moved to Peoria, IL
Broom corn was big business in Schenectady County throughout much of the 19th century and Seeley turned his farm — at its height covering 360 acres — into one of the most successful broom corn farms in the area. (Bill Buell in The Daily Gazette, March 29, 2009) Broom corn is actually an extra long variety of common sorghum.
Also see . . .
1. Making a Broom from Broom Corn. (Submitted on November 1, 2018.)
2. Bridging the Mohawk. (Submitted on November 1, 2018.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Seeley House.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 24, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.