Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

A. H. Heisey Glass

 
 
A. H. Heisey Glass Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
1. A. H. Heisey Glass Marker
Inscription. The A.H. Heisey & Co. produced high quality, hand-wrought glass in Newark, Ohio beginning in 1896. Glass originally produced by pressing was intended to simulate cut glass making elegant glass affordable to more families. Heisey was an innovator in production methods. He introduced colors and different patterns of glass to meet the social habits of the era. Highly skilled craftsmen produced, cut, and etched glass in many styles. The plant closed in 1957 because of Heisey's refusal to produce an inferior machine-made product. The beauty and superior quality of this glass makes it a highly collectable item. The Heisey Collectors of America, founded in 1971, opened The National Heisey Glass Museum in 1974. The Museum stands as a historical reminder and an educational resource to the heritage of the A.H. Heisey & Co.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Heisey Collectors of America, Inc., and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-45.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 3.409′ N, 82° 24.608′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on
A. H. Heisey Glass Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
2. A. H. Heisey Glass Marker
West Church Street near North 6th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 169 West Church Street, Newark OH 43055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veteran's Park (within shouting distance of this marker); John L. Clem (within shouting distance of this marker); The History of Licking Memorial Hospital (approx. half a mile away); "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence (approx. half a mile away); Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building (approx. half a mile away); McCune-Stimson House (approx. half a mile away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. half a mile away); The Donald D. Hill County Administration Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Also see . . .  National Heisey Glass Museum web site. ...owned and operated by the Heisey Collectors of America, Inc. (HCA) since 1974. (Submitted on October 17, 2008.) 
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
A. H. Heisey Glass Museum image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
3. A. H. Heisey Glass Museum
Rinascimento Lodge 2486 Sons of Italy Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
4. Rinascimento Lodge 2486 Sons of Italy Marker
Donated in memory of our deceased members. 1993.
Fountain in front of Heisey Museum image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 12, 2008
5. Fountain in front of Heisey Museum
Donated by Rinascimento Lodge 2486 Sons of Italy in memory of our deceased members 1993
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,338 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 16, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement