Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

H. Schumacher Oil Works

 
 
H. Schumacher Oil Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 17, 2018
1. H. Schumacher Oil Works Marker
Inscription.  Henry Schumacher (1832-1901), a native of Germany, opened one of the first cottonseed oil mills in this region in 1873, assembling the machinery with only the aid of an old encyclopedia. The oil works produced cottonseed oil, meal, and cake, and processed about 1500 tons of seed per year.

Schumacher was honored for his contributions to the cottonseed oil industry about 1883 with a dinner at the White House given by President Chester A. Arthur.

The first mill burned in 1910, but was soon rebuilt, complete with modern machinery. The oil works ceased operation in 1954.

These bricks came from the old building

 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8615.)
 
Location. 29° 35.134′ N, 95° 45.808′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on an unnamed cemetery road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located within Morton Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 North 2nd Street, Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
H. Schumacher Oil Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 17, 2018
2. H. Schumacher Oil Works Marker
distance of this marker. Thomas Jefferson Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Walter Moses Burton (within shouting distance of this marker); Morton Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John McNabb (about 400 feet away); Site of the Home of Randal Jones (about 500 feet away); Fort Bend County Jail (about 700 feet away); McNabb House (about 800 feet away); Jane Long Boarding House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. The Texas Historical Commission Atlas has no record of a marker by this name either in Richmond or Fort Bend County. However there is a marker (#8615) with the same name and text listed as existing in Navasota, Grimes County (approximately 70 miles north of Richmond, and where the H. Schumacher Oil Works was located). The Atlas states that the Navasota marker has been reported missing so it seems likely that this marker was relocated from Navasota to Richmond at some point.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 

More. Search the internet for H. Schumacher Oil Works.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement