Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rexford in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Tavern c. 1820

 
 
Tavern C. 1820 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, November 27, 2018
1. Tavern C. 1820 Marker
Inscription.  Store and tavern of Samuel Grooms. First Clifton Park Town Board meeting held here in 1828.
 
Erected by Clifton Park Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 42° 50.099′ N, 73° 50.655′ W. Marker is in Rexford, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Grooms Road and Sugar Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Grooms Road. The marker is on Grooms Road side of the corner site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 290 Sugar Hill Road, Rexford NY 12148, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vischer House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church, c. 1788 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Shepherd House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Shopmyer House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Irish House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Asa Clark House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Clifton Park Center Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Best House (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rexford.
 
More about this marker. The crossroad changes its name at the intersection. North of Grooms Road, Sugar Hill Road becomes Miller Road
 
Regarding Tavern c. 1820. A store was built in 1800 and operated
Tavern Sign image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, November 27, 2018
2. Tavern Sign
by merchants from Albany. James Groom acquired the site ca. 1820. Three generations of Grooms ran a general store, blacksmith, tavern and hotel here until 1923. The site continued to be used for a general store until 1988. An attempt to convert the building to a restaurant failed, and the Town of Clifton Park bought the vacant buildings in 1999. The tavern is now used as a museum and community center.
 
Also see . . .  History of Grooms Tavern. (Submitted on November 27, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
The Front of the Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, November 27, 2018
3. The Front of the Tavern
View from across Sugar Hill Road
 

More. Search the internet for Tavern c. 1820.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2018, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement