Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Freeport in Nassau County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kelby House

 
 
Kelby House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 20, 2018
1. Kelby House Marker
Inscription.
Home Of Robert H. Kelby ca. 1902, Librarian Of New York Historical Society from 1898 To 1920. Son Charles was NYS Judge
 
Erected 2015 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 214.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation marker series.
 
Location. 40° 39.687′ N, 73° 35.442′ W. Marker is in Freeport, New York, in Nassau County. Marker is at the intersection of Lena Avenue and Wallace Street on Lena Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 West Lena Avenue, Freeport NY 11520, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miracle House 1906 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Village Hall - 1928 (approx. ¼ mile away); Exempt Firehouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Water and Power (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First Public School in Freeport (approx. half a mile away); Trubia Rifle (approx. half a mile away); Freeport Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Freeport Bank (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freeport.
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
Kelby House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 20, 2018
2. Kelby House and Marker
"Robert Hendre Kelby (1847-1927) served as librarian to the New-York Historical Society from 1899 to 1920. Upon his retirement, he was granted the title Librarian Emeritus. After serving in the Navy during the Civil War, Kelby began working with the New-York Historical Society in 1868. Under his direction, the collection of the Society grew from 17,000 volumes to over 150,000 volumes and 160,000 pamphlets. Kelby is credited with helping the Society raise the funds necessary to move to its current location on Central Park West.

Kelby and his family came to Freeport around 1903. He purchased a three-story shingle-style house on the northwest corner of Lena Avenue and Wallace Street in an area of Freeport known as Randall Park. Kelby lived at 112 West Lena Avenue until his death in 1927." - Freeport History Encyclopedia

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.