Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Intersection of Main and Wall streets
The Old Natchez Post Office was built in 1904 on the site of William Johnson's Main Street barbershop. Before his 1851 death, Johnson also owned two other barbershops in town. He used both freed and enslaved black workers who served only white customers. In 1854, his widow built a new shop for her sons on this site, which was demolished for construction of the post office. Today, the City of Natchez owns the building, which is occupied by the Natchez Museum of African American History.
The Salvo & Berdon Candy Co. built a large bottling and candy company on Wall Street in 1890 (behind you - no longer standing). It was demolished in 1965 to build a modern office complex on Wall Street, just south of Main. Many demolitions of downtown historic properties occurred in the 1950s and 1960s, before the start of state and federal preservation programs and the creation of the Historic Natchez Foundation in 1974.
About 1950, newspaper boys for The Natchez Times gathered in front of the Natchez Printing and Stationery Company at 315 Main Street, a mid-1800s building remodeled in the early 1900s. Upper-story tenants included the Tango Tea room, a popular dance club, and the Norman Photographic Studio. The historic photographs created by Henry and Earl Norman are displayed in a gallery
The Natchez Convention Center, built in 2002, brought new life to downtown and stimulated the local economy. Its design blends into the historic streetscape by presenting the illusion of a series of shop fronts along Main Street. Architects were JH & H Architects of Jackson and Waycaster and Associates Architects of Natchez.
Erected by City of Natchez, Mississippi.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
Location. 31° 33.655′ N, 91° 24.268′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and South Wall Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located along the sidewalk, on the south side of Main Street, at the northwest corner of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 South Wall Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Natchez Burning" (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of Main and Canal Streets Site of Bank of Mississippi (about 300 feet away); Adams County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away); Intersection of Main and North Pearl streets (about 400 feet away); Andrew Marschalk (about 400 feet away); William Johnson House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
More about this marker. Marker is a large rectangular composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high metal posts.
Also see . . . The Natchez Museum of African American History and Culture. The museum showcases events starting with the incorporation of the City of Natchez in 1716 to the present, using art, photographs, manuscripts, artifacts, and books. Exhibits cover the era of slavery, the Civil War, Reconstruction, 20th Century wars and the Civil rights era. They include Forks of the Road, which was the second largest slave market in the southern United States, and which has received international recognition by the United Nations because of its role in the international slave trade; (Submitted on December 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.