Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Intersection of North Pearl and Franklin streets
This large building with grand columns and extensive porches (behind you) began life about 1840 as a simple, brick cottage. In 1902-1903, the Elks Lodge enlarged and remodeled the building and added a swimming pool. In 1932, the Natchez Garden Club used the Elks Lodge as their headquarters for the first Spring Pilgrimage house tours. In the 1980s, the building became an inn, and the pool was converted to a landscaped courtyard.
Members of the local Jewish community built the Standard Club (no longer standing) as a social club about 1890. Cotton merchants Geisenberger and Friedler rented offices in the first story, while the second story contained a large ballroom. It was a popular spot for social activities before construction of the grander Prentiss club in 1904.
At his shop on the south corner of Franklin and Pearl streets, cabinetmaker Robert Stewart made both wooden furniture for fine Natchez houses and wooden caskets for his undertaking
Erected by City of Natchez, Mississippi.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
Location. 31° 33.663′ N, 91° 24.14′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and North Pearl Street, on the left when traveling east on Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is located along the sidewalk, at the northeast corner of the intersection, beside the "Guest House" (formerly the Elks Lodge and the Natchez Garden Club). Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Pearl Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Natchez Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of Jefferson and North Pearl streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bud Scott (about 400 feet away); Andrew Marschalk (about 400 feet away); Intersection of Main and North Pearl streets (about Site of Bank of Mississippi (about 500 feet away); Site of Cokesbury Chapel (about 500 feet away); "The Natchez Burning" (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
More about this marker. Marker is a large, rectangular composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high metal posts.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.