Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nevada City in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Pelton Wheel Manufacturing Site

 
 
Pelton Wheel Manufacturing Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, December 29, 2006
1. Pelton Wheel Manufacturing Site Marker
Inscription. The Pelton Water Wheel, first commercially manufactured here at George Allanís Foundry & Machine Works in 1879, was a major advancement in water power utilization and greatly advanced hard-rock mining. Its unique feature was a series of paired buckets, shaped like bowls of spoons and separated by a splitter, that divided the incoming water jets into two parts. By the late 1800, Pelton Wheels were providing energy to operate industrial machinery throughout the world. In 1888, Lester Pelton moved his business to San Francisco, but granted continuing manufacturing rights to Allanís Foundry, where the wheels were manufactured into the early 1900ís, when most local mines shifted to electric power.
 
Erected 1994 by The State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with The Nevada County Cultural Preservation Trust and Pacific Gas & Electric Co., May 11, 1994. (Marker Number 1012.)
 
Location. 39° 15.73′ N, 121° 1.184′ W. Marker is in Nevada City, California, in Nevada County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 Spring Street, Nevada City CA 95959, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. English and New Salmon Mine Stamp Mill (here, next to this marker); Miners Foundry – Allans Machine Shop
Pelton Wheel Manufacturing Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, December 29, 2006
2. Pelton Wheel Manufacturing Site Marker
English and New Salmon Mine Stamp Mill marker is underneath this marker.
(here, next to this marker); Powell Home (within shouting distance of this marker); 400 Broad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Nevada Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nevada County Traction Company (about 300 feet away); The Flagg Building (about 300 feet away); Kidd & Knox Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nevada City.
 
Regarding Pelton Wheel Manufacturing Site. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.1012
 
Also see . . .
1. Miners Foundry History. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Miners Foundry Timeline. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksNatural ResourcesNotable EventsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Pelton Wheel image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, December 29, 2006
3. The Pelton Wheel
The Miners Foundry and Allan's Machine Shop marker is attached to the wheel.
The Foundry Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, December 29, 2006
4. The Foundry Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,561 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 21, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement