Plain City in Union County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1765 - 1821
Erected 1934 by Hannah Emerson Dustin Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 7.459′ N, 83° 16.324′ W. Marker is in Plain City, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 42 and Ohio Route 736, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 42. Touch for map. Marker is next to bridge over Big Darby River, next to township rest area. Marker is in this post office area: Plain City OH 43064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Indian Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jerome Township Soldiers' Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away); Jerome Township Civil War Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); New California Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Unionville Center (approx. 3.7 miles away); Vice President Charles Warren Fairbanks / Charles Warren Fairbanks Birthplace (approx. 3.7 miles away); Darby Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); a different marker also named Darby Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away).
Regarding Joshua Ewing.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A marker for Jonathan Alder, mentioned above.
Also see . . . History of Union County - Early Settlements. To Joshua and James Ewing, two brothers, belong the honor of making the first settlement in what is now Union County and in Jerome Township. Accounts all agree that they settled permanently on Big Darby in the year 1798, but it is also said that two or three years prior to this date... (Submitted on October 23, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Military • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 934 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.