Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
An Important Era in Railroad History
The Milwaukee Road 222 and Great Northern A-3 may seem to be modern anomalies, but they too have beginnings in the early days of railroad history.
The Milwaukee Road 222 was built by Barney and Smith, of Dayton, Ohio in January 1882, as a business car for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (aka Milwaukee Road). Steel framing made it an advanced design for its early date. Rebuilt in 1930, the car continued to operate in the Rocky Mountain Division until retirement and acquisition by CA. Bovey in 1963.
The Great Northern Business Car A-3 was built by Barney and Smith as wooden Coach 265 in July, 1906. The addition of steel framing and sheathing in its April 1927 rebuild, and modernization in 1951, transformed the A-3 in effect, into an entirely new car. The Great Northern Railway gave the car to the Historic
With the historic fact that railroads never made it to Alder Gulch, the railroad collection at Nevada City is part of the Bovey legacy. The bulk of the collection has been on site for over 50 years, and has gained historical significance relative to Nevada City, in addition to ably describing a short period of railroad history.
The train restoration was paid for by Tom and Barbi Donnelley.
Location. 45° 18.434′ N, 111° 58.068′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is on State Highway 287 0.1 miles south of California Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the subject railroad car exhibit on the west side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Madison County Pioneers (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Don L. Byam Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Nevada City (within shouting distance of this marker); History Wins! Site of the Trial and Hanging of George Ives (within shouting distance of this marker); Gallows Barn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montanaís Oldest Standing School (about 300 feet away); Finney House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
More about this marker. Marker is a large painted metal plaque, mounted on a waist-high post.
Also see . . .
1. Barney And Smith Car Company. The Barney & Smith Car Company went by a number of names over the years and its history dates to the early years of the railroad industry itself. During the company's early years of production it focused on the construction of two types of equipment; either standard or narrow-gauged freight and passenger cars. With either, Barney & Smith became highly touted for the extremely high level of craftsmanship and elegance of its cars. During its final 30 years or so of operation Barney & Smith tended to focus almost exclusively on interurban and street railway equipment. (Submitted on January 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Barney & Smith Car Company. Located in Dayton, Ohio, Barney & Smith Car Company built railroad cars. In the second half of the nineteenth century, railroads were constructed at a rapid rate. Barney & Smith capitalized on this growth and became one of the largest car manufacturers in the United States. Throughout the 1870s and 1880s, Barney & Smith was very successful. In 1880, the company employed more than 1,500 workers, and that number grew to two thousand by 1890. In the 1890s, Barney & Smith expanded its operations to produce cars for electric railroad systems as well. (Submitted on January 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.