Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
These box cars dating to c.1880 originally operated in Colorado before coming to Montana about 1917 when they were put in service at the mining town of Coolidge, Montana. Among the work performed by the Friends was the restoration of these Florence and Cripple Creek/Montana Southern boxcars. These boxcars now provide much needed storage for the Montana Heritage Commission. The Friends used the trucks in the historically accurate restoration of working tank cars for the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad.
This partnership demonstrates how two historic preservation organizations representing three states can work together to the mutual benefit of all involved. The Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is based in Albuquerque, NM and has approximately 2,200 members worldwide. For information on how to support the Montana Heritage Commission call 406-843-5247.
• Trucks from the Montana Heritage Commission help complete the restoration of these tank cars for use on the Combres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in Colorado and New Mexico
• The Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad constructing track to move Montana Heritage Commission rail cars.
• Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad rebuilding the Florence and Cripple Creek/Montana Southern Boxcars.
Erected by Montana Heritage Commission.
Location. 45° 18.427′ N, 111° 58.122′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is on State Highway 287 south of California Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the subject restored boxcar exhibit on the west side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nevada City (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Trial and Hanging of George Ives (within shouting distance of this marker); Finney House (within shouting distance of this marker); An Important Era in Railroad History Madison County Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Don L. Byam Residence (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montana’s Oldest Standing School (about 400 feet away); Gallows Barn (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted on a waist-high post.
Also see . . . Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad. The Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad (F&CC) was a narrow-gauge railroad running northward from junctions with the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad at the mill towns of Florence and later moved to Cañon City, Colorado, on the banks of the Arkansas River, up steep and narrow Phantom Canyon to the Cripple Creek Mining District, west of Pikes Peak. It was founded in 1893 and went out of business in 1915. It was the first railroad to reach the new, booming mining district from the "outside world" and as a result it earned substantial profits in its first years. (Submitted on January 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.